If you’re struggling with the adoption wait, know that it’s just a matter of time before a birth mother chooses you. During your adoption wait, you have time to learn what you can to get ready for parenthood. You’ll learn how the adoption process works and positive adoption language. You’ll consult with experts in the adoption field. Know that there will be good days and others filled with doubt and worry.
But what can you do while you wait? Here are 5 ideas:
1. Imagine what it will be like once you bring your baby home. How will you notify your employer you need time off for adoption travel? Will you celebrate the adoption privately, with family and friends, or publicly at a religious observance? Who will you call first?
2. Think about what you’ll name your child. Will you name them after a much-loved relative? Or maybe a name you have always liked? Many adoptive families use the name their child’s birth mother gave them as their middle name. If you’re adopting an older child, consider keeping the name your child is accustomed to.
3. Plan the style of your child’s room. Some waiting adoptive couples enjoy shopping for baby items and assembling the nursery. Others feel it’s a sad reminder that they haven’t yet brought home their baby. So, consider what works best for you. You might choose furniture, paint, wall paper, and the needed baby gear, and have it on reserve at the baby store.
4. Join an adoption support group. These groups are a great way to get practical know-how and guidance from others in the wait. There will be adoptive families in each stage of their adoption journey in the support group. Some will be experienced adoptive parents, and the advice they give will be priceless.
5. Consider counseling as another way to get support and explore adoptive parenting. Find a local psychologist or social worker whose specialty is adoption. Talk about any anxieties you have surrounding the adoption process, and also about your parenting plans.
Soon, your adoption wait will be over, and you’ll be enjoying the sights and sounds of parenthood. The love you’ll feel for your child is unlimited!