As you embark on your journey to adopt a baby, the first step is choosing your adoption agency. Just as the adoption process varies from family to family, every adoption agency is different. Since your adoption agency is working to unite you with your baby, choosing the best one is essential to your success!
The good news is that you don’t have to spend lots of time to locate the perfect adoption agency. What you do need to do is to be prepared and know exactly what to ask the adoption professional.
So that you can be sure to choose the agency that’s the right fit for your family, we’re providing you with a list of questions to ask the agencies you’re considering!
- Is your organization licensed and/or certified?
- Do you handle adoptions only in my state or other states as well?
- Do you have an adoption attorney who works for your adoptive parents? Can you recommend one?
- Are there any limitations to who can adopt a baby through your agency?
- How do you locate potential birth mothers?
- How do you present adoptive couple’s profiles to birth mothers?
- Do you provide education or classes to prospective adoptive parents?
- How do you work with birth mothers before and after the adoption?
- Can we have the contact details of families who have recently adopted through your agency? (Then, call or email these couples so you can hear about their adoption experience.)
- When will we be notified of whether we’ve been accepted into your program?
- How soon after we are accepted into your program do we need to begin the home study process?
- How and when do you inform us that a birth mother is interested in us?
- What’s the average wait time to adopt a baby through your agency?
- How many adoptions did you do last year?
- What is your fall-through/reclaim rate?
- What is your application fee?
- What fees can we anticipate with your agency? (for example, lawyer fees or birth mother expenses)
- Can you provide a general range of the cost for adopting through each of your agency’s programs?
- When are the fees due?
- Do you charge a match fee?
- Does your fee cover the home study and post-placement visits?
This might seem like a lot to ask, but knowing all you possibly can is in your best interest. We recommend that you make a list, take notes, and ask these important questions. By taking time and effort as you select your adoption agency, you’re setting yourself up for success!