Are you truly ready to adopt? Before you contact any adoption professionals, really think about what your deepest wishes are for your family and for the child you hope to adopt.
Honesty is important because it’s your adoption professional’s task to understand your motivations so that they can effectively help you from the start. Your professional will then narrow down the preferences and relevant adoption situations and help you plan your adoption.
How do you know if you’re really ready to adopt a baby?
Here are 10 simple questions to ask yourself:
1. Why do you want to adopt?
2. How serious are you about adoption right now?
3. What is your ideal adoption situation?
4. Does your spouse want to adopt too?
5. Have you thought about how becoming a parent will change your life and are you willing to accept this responsibility?
6. Are you financially, socially and emotionally ready to adopt?
7. Will you love a child who comes into your family through adoption as much as you would a biological child?
8. If your child’s birth mother asked for photos, letters, and updates, would you honor her request?
9. Do you think you’d be a good parent, and why? If the answer is “no,” are you open to seeking assistance?
10. Do you and your spouse have the patience and time that’s needed to care for a child?
Don’t be offended when an adoption professional asks you investigative questions about your reasons for seeking adoption. They’re not trying to be nosey; they’re trying to help you find the best situation with as little time and stress as possible.
Plenty of preparation needs to be done for an adoption to be a success, and thoroughly understanding your needs is a large part of that. So, let your adoption professional help you, and you’ll be on your way to creating the family you have been dreaming of for a lifetime!